Monday, July 16, 2012

Want to NOT Sell Your Home?? Follow These Examples

As I said last week we are moving so, of course, we have been house hunting for a couple of months now.  We are not in the 'subdivision-row-house' price range so most of the homes we look at have a lot of 'character'.   I like character.  I don't mind character but for some reason I've seen way too much character this time around. 

My parents have been in real estate for 40+ years so I've seen a LOT of houses and heard a lot of horror stories over the years.  Most people really would be SHOCKED if they knew what some homes looked like inside.  I have to tell ya I'm still shocked at how some people think their home is 'show ready'.  I'm one of those people who can see past a lot of stuff.  I can see past the clutter and invision my decor, a wall gone, another room, or another type of flooring. Some people can't...and for those people you REALLY need to stage your home.  The following pics are all BIG NO-NO's:   

I actually gasped when I saw this photo.  Remodeling is expensive I know....but come on!!  Rip up that carpet and buy a gallon of paint for God's sake.  On the plus side that room is HUGE!  (is that Mike Brady in the corner???)  


I love a red kitchen.....but I'm not sure about this one.  One friend commented they are probably trying to cover up blood stains ;-) .


I'm wondering if a guy lives at this house??  I'm also wondering why I'm grossed out by the urinal but not by a toilet?  And why if men build most of the bathrooms in the world are there not urinals in ALL bathrooms??  Hmmmm...so many questions.


 This is a big Realtor NO-NO.  This bathroom doesn't have much to work with.  Push everything off into the trashcan and then HIDE the trashcan!  DON'T take a picture of a full bathroom trashcan.  NOBODY wants to see that!


This house was actually VERY pretty.  The whole home has been remodeled on the inside and out and looks wonderful....but why this bedroom picture?  Why the fan?  Yes, I know most of us like a fan to sleep with.  I get it.  But move the fan over...take the picture....move it back.  And what with the clamp on the fan??  So odd.



This bathroom is RETRO-FABULOUS!  As horrible as this may look to some I really am digging this room. It's HUGE.  It's from the 50's and it's PINK!  Yes, that is original blue carpet.  I actually wanted this home but for various reasons we didn't choose it.



I really should teach a class on realtor photography!  I get it...they are moving.  It's most likely an extra room and they have things stored in there.  But seriously!!  Push the stuff off the bed.   Take the picture.  Put it back.  Not that hard and would look SO much better because all I can see is they have Santa bound, gagged and stuffed in a plastic bag.


 Another horrible bathroom shot.  Good sized bathroom...but really dated.  So, they don't want to spend the money to update...I get it but they really need to get all that crap off the sink and hang up some pretty towels.  The toilet cleaner in the corner??  Really?  That's the best you could do??


Black tub.  Not a fan...but whatever.  I could look past it.  But the wet towels and washrags??  Come on!!!


These are all homes on the market right now.  All but 2 of these homes are over $100k.  The real estate market is bad right now in case you haven't noticed.  Prices are down.  The market is flooded with lot's of homes so why not try to put your best foot forward?

Disclaimer:  I don't want to insult you if this is your home but your Realtor is obviously doing you a great disservice by taking those horrible pictures.  She is not earning her commission.  Also, you are obviously not taking a lot of pride in your home and trying to present it in the best possible light.  Get off your butt and spend the weekend scraping wallpaper and painting.  Your bank account will thank you later.  I promise!! 

1 comment:

created by ~donnaK said...

you crack me up....just what i needed this morning.