Monday, March 5, 2012

Oak Alley

Oak Alley Plantation....this place has definitely been on my bucket list forever.  I have ALWAYS wanted to walk down this path of trees.  



Last month I was able to go with my friend Liz to New Orleans.  She was there for a conference... I was there to hang out, get away from the home responsibilities, and have some much needed girl time.  


The city of New Orleans was fun and interesting but the ONLY thing I really wanted to see was Oak Alley which was an hour outside of the city.  I begged, pleaded and finally got my way....a rental car to plantation country.  I seriously would have hitched a ride.  Luckily I didn't have to....we walked up to the rental car place and the guy took one look at my long legs and decided I couldn't fit in a economy sized car.  He VERY nicely suggested we might be 'more comportable' in a more luxurious car.  We didn't argue and drove out of the city in style.  




We were served lunch at the Plantation and we actually tried a bit of alligator.  The general consensus was it was a bit tough and we aren't sure we would eat it again.  It may have just been the way it was prepared.  The fried catfish and duck were very good.  All the sauces were homemade and SO yummy.  We then had a egg plant/sausage casserole that was VERY filling.  



Then we moved onto dessert.  Bread Pudding in Whiskey Sauce. 

Pecan Pie....which down there is pronounced p'CAN pie.


Praline Cheesecake.  We were pronouncing it Pray-leen but our waitress made it into ONE syllable...not sure how she did it.


Chocolate Pecan Pie.


After what ended up being a HUGE lunch we were able to tour the grounds and home.


I'm in love...I want to live there.  I'm not used to being in the city and around people all the time so being at the plantation was like a breath of fresh air.... literally.  Everything was starting to bloom and smelled so spring-like.

The rooms of the house were so wonderful to see.

I'm not sure my friends enjoyed it as much as me but I do thank them for indulging me.


Now.....where can we go next??

4 comments:

created by ~donnaK said...

Thanks for a lovely tour of Oak Alley and for getting my stomach growling for Pralines! However you say it, I'm sure it was DELISHHH

Rachel said...

OH how fun!!! Ha ha, I think it's hilarious that YOU are commenting on the Southern dialect :)

Was that the house filmed in Forrest Gump? That Oak Alley looks familiar for some reason, like it was in a movie I've seen . . .

Oh well, maybe I'm channeling too much Gone with the Wind :)

dawn said...

good post lynn, love the food shots :)

Gee said...

Great shots!

Gary Dauphin
Director of Technology, Education and Media Production
Oak Alley Foundation