Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fruit & Veggie Smoothie...YUMMY!!

I want to share with you my new favorite drink/meal/snack....The Smoothie!  Smoothies are very popular right now.  I've seen recipes all over Pinterest.  I've been reading up a lot online about fruit and veggie smoothies because I don't really get a lot of veggie's in my diet.  Don't tell the kids but I really don't like vegetables.  I try...I eat them cause I know they are good for me and I do feel better when I have eaten them but I don't really like them. 

Between recipes I've found online and through friends and family I have come up with my own Smoothie 'recipe'. 




To the blender I add:

  • Blueberries
  • strawberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1 apple
  • 1 mango
  • some pineapple
  • some spinach leaves or broccoli 
  • 1 pear
  • 1/2 of an avocado (sometimes)  
  • 1 Cup Egg Whites 
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Scoop Protein Powder
  • 1 Scoop Ruby Reds Powder
  • 1 Scoop of Glutamin Powder



I throw all this in the blender together.  Don't worry....you can't taste the spinach!  The blueberries over power the taste.  I swear.  My sister told me to add the spinach or I would have never tried this.




I don't add ice because my strawberries and blueberries are frozen.  I pick them fresh earlier in the year and freeze them but you can also buy bags of frozen berries at the store.  I also have pears on hand I picked and canned last year.  Again...you can add whatever fruit or veggie you have on hand and like.  If you hate banana's don't add it...it's fine.


This smoothie is SO creamy and yummy....especially if you add the avocado.  Avocado's are very good for you but they are high in fat...good fat but still fat.  So, if you are really trying to watch your weight you might want to limit how many you add a week.  I love them because they are so good for your skin and hair.


I love the pineapple taste in my smoothies but it is hard to keep fresh pineapple around.  My mom figured out how to buy the crushed pineapple and freeze it in ice cube trays.  She got them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and they are for making ice sticks to go in your sports bottle.  You can use regular ice cube trays if you want. 


One can will make two trays.  Once frozen I pop them out and put them in a freezer bag.  I then use 3 sticks in one smoothie.


The protein powder I am using right now is Beverly International Vanilla.  I've used chocolate and cookie's and cream but I personally like the vanilla the best for my daily smoothie.  It's up to you.  I don't really have an opinion on the protein powder.  Buy whatever is all natural and whatever tastes the best.  


The Ruby Reds I do have an opinion on.  I love it!!!  I take a couple scoops of this a day. I mix it with the smoothie, water and even my iced tea.  It tastes like fruit punch.  One scoop is all your fruits and veggies for the day.  I feel so much better since I started using it.  I even make the kids use it and we have rarely been sick this winter.


These are the egg whites I use and I really love them.  1 cup is equivalent to 10 eggs!!  My hair and nails are growing like CRAZY!!  I buy mine at our local gym but you can find other brands in stores.  This brand is the only brand I have found that is 1 cup=10 eggs.  They do not smell and you can not taste them.  I swear!  You can drink them straight or make them into an omelet.  



The Glutamine is for your muscles.  Again this is personal preference.  I use it cause it seems to help with my muscle recovery after a workout.


I feel a bit silly giving nutrition advice but I talk about the smoothies I make and have had people ask me for the 'recipe' so I thought I should do a post about it.  Basically I throw a bunch of fruit and veggies in a blender and mix them up.

Disclaimer #1:  This is my breakfast and sometimes a before bed snack.  It's not a meal replacement.  I also have a couple of regular meals a day.  I do work out an hour or two a day so my calorie and nutrition needs might be different than yours.  You do what you need to do for your body.

If you have a smoothie recipe or supplement you use let us know in the comments.

Disclaimer #2:  I was not paid by any of these companies to talk about their product.  These are just the products I use at this time and my opinion of them.  If any of these companies would like to send me free product I would be MORE than happy to try it out.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I love to see all those pretty colors in a smoothie :)