Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fort Massac Encampment

A couple of weeks ago we took the kids a reenactment at Fort. Massac.  You couldn't have asked for a better fall day.  If you can ever be in Southern Illinois in October this is really a great family even.  The Encampment attracts over 100,000 visiters in just one weekend!  


I love that everyone is dressed in their uniforms going about doing normal everyday things....like eating buffalo chili.  


Bubby got a lesson in guns from one of the Lewis & Clark expedition. 



Sissy got a lesson is jump rope making.




The 'wild' Indians walking around can be very unnerving but they love to pose for pictures.


The kids trying out their new headgear.  Sissy is trying to look mean and serious.


I love that this Mountain mamma is carrying her baby in a sling.  Good to know some parenting skills never change.


  This nice Indian stopped to talk and get pictures with us.


He was very accommodating.....

He asked Sissy and this other little girl, who also dressed for the occasion,  to hold his club and then he pulled out his knife.  Sissy had no idea till she saw the picture.  How crazy am I?  Take a knife to my kid...GREAT idea! Let me get my camera!  ha!



Everyone was all dressed as Mountain Men, Soldiers or Indians....except for this guy.  He wore his Steampunk outfit.  I don't get the Steampunk thing.....  The other people dressed as Reenactors I get.  There used to be Mountain Men, Soldiers and Indians walking around.  Guys walking around with goggles on their head just seem strange to me.  I think Steampunk people are trying WAY too hard.



At the end of the day there was a large battle.  My camera battery died at this point so I didn't get a lot of pictures.  I think these reenactments are a lot of fun.  It's like a movie come to life right before my eyes.  I was waiting for Daniel Day-Lewis to come running through the woods to save us.  I'm still waiting...



1 comment:

Mellodee said...

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but....I have never heard of Fort Massac. Is there a connection to the origin of the word "massacre"??

Soldiers, Indians, Homesteaders....it has all the elements of an unhappy ending!