Monday, June 27, 2011

Southern Cream Cookies

Remember these cookies?  They are the delicious cookies my wonderful neighbor brought to me a couple of weeks ago.  



I had decided I was going to return her container with my own cookies but it took me awhile because we kept eating the cookies before I could deliver them down the road.  Not only did I want to thank her for the cookies I also HAD to have the recipe.

Here is the yummy recipe.  It's from an old cookbook and written out in paragraph form.

Southern Cream Cookies

Cream 1 cup shortening with 2 cups sugar; add 3 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup sour cream.  Mix well.  Sift 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour with 3 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon satl, and 1/2 teaspoon soda.  Add to creamed mixture.  Add 1 1/2 cups broken walnuts.  Drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake 350 degrees about 15 minutes.  I then make a simple icing of powdered sugar, vanilla & milk and poured over the cooled cookies.    Makes 6 dozen cookies.

This will make a TON of cookies to be prepared.  Get out the milk and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to post this recipe. Now my mother can leave me alone about it. She LOVED them!