Monday, February 28, 2011

Irish Eye Chart

With St. Patty's Day right around the corner I thought I should post some of the holiday crafts I have up around the house.    I'm still lovin' my little jars!  I decided after the candy-fest we have had around here from Christmas to Valentine's day that I didn't want to fill these jars with anything sweet....i.e. green M&M's.  



I thought of green easter grass but then decided on this shredded paper.  I ran some green paper through the shredder and voila!  Super easy and cheap!  I then used the Cricut to cut out the shamrocks.  


I haven't found any 'Keep Calm' type prints to copy other than 'Kiss me I'm Irish'...which I'm not so I feel weird putting stuff like that out there.  I did find this St. Patty's Day craft at Tatertots and Jello and I thought it would be a cute and simple decoration.  She used her Silhouette to print out her letters but I just made a Word document.  I typed in some random letters, stuck the word LUCKY in the middle and found a cute shamrock clipart....printed it out and....DONE!


I needed a green frame so I used a bunch of really cool techniques to get this fabulous green and black crackle look.  It took me days and days to get this one-of-a-kind look.  Actually, I took an old black frame I had lying around out to the garage and spray painted it with a can of green spray paint that was too cold.  The can has been out there for years and since it's only about 34 degrees outside today the paint bubbled up on the frame and didn't stick in some places.  This is what happens when you don't follow directions.


Any other time this would have been a disaster but for once I think not following directions worked out in my favor.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Very cute!

(Where's the irish beer? :)

Lauren @ 31diy said...

What a great idea for an easy and cheap filler! And you don't have to be tempted to eat candy -- an added bonus! :)

jskippy11 said...

LOVE!!! Why can't I have just a tiny little bit of your talent.... oh ya.. and ambition!