Monday, February 21, 2011

I Despise a Floggin' Rooster

The snowing is melting!!  It has REALLY warmed up this past week and I'm loving all of it but the mud.  It's now that time of year I have to put it into 4-wheel drive to get in and out of the drive way.  


We ordered 25 more chicks last week.    




They are all doing well so far....only lost 2 so that is good.    The kids love to check on them everyday and hold them.  


The chickens don't venture out much when there is a lot of snow on the ground but all this 50 and 60 degree weather has really put a spring in their step.  While out taking pics of the chickens I realized I haven't introduced you to our new boys....Mr. Big and Aiden.  A friend of my mom's talked us into taking 2 of her roosters off her hands.  They had names when they arrived but soon I thought they needed new ones.

After watching them for a couple of days I decided the bigger rooster should be called Mr. Big......



and the other one should be called Aiden.  Ya know...from Sex & the City.  They both seem to fight over the blond chicken, Sara, so I thought these names were PERFECT.


I was worried about having roosters around the place.  I have heard horror stories......I Despise a Floggin' Rooster!





There is something comforting in hearing them crow throughout the day.  Since we keep them locked up at night I don't have to hear them till The Hunter get's up and lets them out in the morning.


The seem to really watch over their girls....and I like that.

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Fantastic video!!! LOL ;)

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

I want to be you! Chickens....oh how well I remember having chickens growing up...now these chickens we had were pets although my grandmother had the idea they were for Sunday dinner. I don't think I ever forgave her for serving Roy(the chicken) for dinner. Your kids are so lucky to get to have these knids of experiences.

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

I left you a Stylish Blogger Award on my blog.

Ivy said...

Awesome blog! I found your blog through another blog I am following. Love the information on the chicks and roosters. I am looking to build a hen house and adopt some hens of my own.

Rachel said...

ha ha, I've never seen Cold Mountain, but I love that clip of the rooster! Hilarious, and I love your names you picked (although in deference for your sister you could call them Edward and Jacob :)

Danielle said...

I despise a floggin' rooster too and have put more than my share in a pot. We are leaving behind this "simple" life and our chickens...but thanks for this little reminder of days gone by.