Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fall Sightseeing

After spending all day Friday visiting with friends I stayed up till the wee hours of the morning scrapbooking.  It was so much fun but SO past my bedtime.  The Croptoberfest event was held in a nearby small town in the church basement.  While there all the ladies decided they needed to scare the bejeezus out of me by telling stories of local robberies.  They had great stories about catching people in the middle of the robbery and waking up to open doors in the middle of the night.  ACK!  You know what a scaredy cat I am!  I drove home after midnight through the dark country side FREAKED out.  I made it home so it's all good.  

A few hours after going to bed we were up and on the road to Peoria, Illinois to visit friends again.  They took us to some local attractions and the fall views of the river were amazing!

The kids had a really good time riding the TINY elevator SLOWLY up into the sky but I have to tell ya my knees were a little shaky.    It was worth it though. The view of the river was really breathtaking.  So peaceful.



After living through the water tower experience we toured the World's Most Beautiful Drive.  Seriously....that's what it's called.  Apparently Teddy Roosevelt came through sometime long ago and said this was the worlds most beautiful drive and being smart city planners Peoria jumped on it.  I think Mr. Roosevelt was correct though.  It was amazing.  I can't imagine waking up every morning in some of those homes and watching the river views change with the seasons.  What a blessing that would be.


After a yummy lunch of Panera and sightseeing we boarded a paddle boat for a cruise of the river.


I have never been on a paddle boat cruise and it really was a lot of fun.  I was worried I might get motion sick or the wind would be too much but it really was very peaceful.  If I hadn't had the kids to watch I could have probably fallen asleep on the deck watching the world slowly go by.


I kept looking at the shore and wondering what it would have been like 150 years ago when this was the ONLY means of major transportation up and down Illinois.

What would have I have thought of Illinois back then?  Would I have wanted to stop the boat and go ashore?  I think I would have.  The shore was more than beautiful this time of year.


Thanks David and Rod for a WONDERFUL day!  Can't wait to come back!

No comments: