Monday, October 18, 2010

Dress for Success--Indianapolis Style

You remember this summer when we stopped off in Indianapolis to visit my cousin?  Well, while we were there she took us downtown to eat supper and visit a place very dear to her heart, Dress for Success.  I took a bunch of pictures but when I got home I couldn't find them on my camera or computer.  I couldn't figure out what I had done.  How had a erased all those photos??  So, yesterday I got out my little 'old' digital camera to see what pics the kids had been taking lately (I sometimes let them play with it and take pictures) and guess what?!  There were a bunch of pics from our summer trip on that camera!!  I found all my lost photos!  I had forgotten I stuck the little camera in my purse cause I didn't want to haul my bigger one around.    

So, now I get to tell you about the lost part of our trip.  My cousin took us to a wonderful place downtown by the Canal to eat supper at a place called Creation Cafe.  We sat outside on the patio and had supper and Chester (her dog...but don't tell him he's a dog!) was able to join us.  


They must have heard I was in town.  Look at these salt and pepper shakers!!


The food was SO yummy!!!  Wonderful sandwiches and soups.  I kids even had homemade potato chips.


After dinner we walked downtown along the Canal.  It was such a nice evening and we had been cooped up in the car for so long that it was nice to just walk around for awhile.



After our walk we were able to tour Dress for Success Indianapolis.  What a wonderful organization!  For more information about this great organization check out their website here.  


Simply put this organization helps women get back on their feet and find a job.  It's hard for a woman who doesn't have the right clothing to find a good job.  If you have always worked a job where they gave you a uniform and you have never had the money or know how to get the right suit then you can't get a better paying job.  Men can wear the same white shirt and black pants to work everyday but women can not.  They have to be stylish to move up the ladder.  





That explanation sounds too simple really.  Dress for Success does so much more than just find women clothes.  They give them their lives back.  It's amazing!  They show these women THEY have the skills they never knew they had to start building a productive life.  I was reading some of the comments some of the clients left and there was everything from 'I got a great job and a steady paycheck' to 'Someone told me I looked nice today for the first time ever' or 'I had 3 square meals today for the first time in months'.  After leaving Dress for Success these women should be able to  build a better life both personally and professionally.  


Snooping Peaking through everyone's offices you could tell everyone who works there is so creative and stylish.  Their offices were too cool!!



I mean who has mannequin heads in their office!?  If I did that people would say, 'ummm....you have some naked heads on your shelf'.


The main room with all the clothes were so amazing.  They get donations from people but a lot of the clothes are brand new name brand items donated right from the clothing company.  Very nice stuff!!




When I walked into the 'shoe room' I almost passed out.  Shelves and shelves of shoes ladies!  I had to sit down for awhile.


So did Chester.


An organization like this is such a blessing to so many people.  The clothing is just a small part of the Dress for Success experience.  Without that little extra push so many women's lives (and families) would be so much different.  After leaving here I got to thinking how thankful I am to have a family who taught me the power of education and how to take care of myself.  I'm thankful to have family and friends to rely on cause SO many women do not have the support system I have been blessed with.

Check out Dress for Success online or Facebook to see if there is a local office near you where you can donate clothing or time.  By blessing others you will be greatly blessed in return.....I guarantee it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Lynn – thank you so much for sharing with everyone about Dress for Success Indianapolis!!! I know I am biased but I really do love this place – it is so empowering to go to work each day and know that I have an opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life.

If anyone is interested further in volunteering or donating– there are over 100 affiliated world wide so there is bound to be a Dress for Success near you – take a look at www.dressforsuccess.org
-Jennifer

dawn said...

Good work Jennifer! Lynn, let's make some of those wall art decorations with the fabric and the quilting hoops.