Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Zucchini Lasagna

I have so many zucchini right now I just don't know what to do with it all.  In years past I froze a bunch but I've found it doesn't really freeze well.  I've made a bunch of bread and cakes and put them in the freezer for the future but I thought there HAS to be something else I can do with zucchini beside cover it in butter and  sugar and bake it or cover it in cornmeal and fry it. 


A lady at the gym mentioned Zucchini Lasagna but she didn't really have a recipe.  I figured I could wing it (don't I always?)  but I decided to go online and I found a recipe from a lady who was actually from Sicily.  She's from Sicily and it's Lasagna...that's a good combination I think! 

It may not look like much in the picture but this is the BEST Lasagna!!  My zucchini sliced a little thick.  I think next time I'll work on just making large thin squares instead of trying to slice down the whole zucchini.  (We were gone all weekend and our zucchini were the size of small children).   The Hunter and I LOVED it...Bubby wanted to like it but since his sister was turning her nose up at it he had a hard time.  I think Sis really liked it too but she didn't want to let on she liked a vegetable (the horror!!). 

For the recipe check out The Italian Dish

5 comments:

Mellodee said...

Everyone I've ever known who has a vegetable garden ends up with way too much of nearly everything! Zuccini seems to be the worst offender. They are usually huge and there is only so much zuccini a person can eat. So they try to give the stuff away. That's great for those who cook or preserve or bake. But when I see a friend with a brown paper bag that looks heavy headed my way, I run....in the opposite direction!!! I don't even like zuccini very much! LOL

Rachel said...

Mmmm, I love Vegetable Lasagna, and yours looks delish!

I shred some of my zuccini and put them in sandwich bags for zuccini bread. Then, I don't have to measure; I just pull out a bag and throw it in the bread mix. You can also use the mix when you're making hamburgers; mix a little in with the meat and they'll never know :)

All Natural Mama said...

That looks SO good. I love zucchini lasagna. My zucchini is just starting to produce up here, so it will b a while before I can make things like this.
I have some zuke recipes on my blog that are good - the zucchini pizza is good (it goes in the crust, there's very little flour). Have you ever stuffed zucchini? MMMMMM....
We ate our first crookneck squash and cucumber yesterday, baby sized, just sliced raw with dip. Oh, yum.
Didn't know you got a garden in this year - that's great!
I froze tons of zucchini last year, both shredded and sliced. It was not good. Well, the shredded you can thaw and use in baked goods recipes like bread or zucchini pizza, but the frozen sliced was useless for much of anything...

laughlogic said...

I was just wondering what to do with all of the zucchini in my garden. Thank you for this wonderful idea.

Esther

laughlogic said...

I tried the recipe and I love it. My three year old even ate it up.