Thursday, July 22, 2010

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today this was pulling into my drive.

One year ago today we moved to the farmhouse in the country. One year ago today I had 9 guys at my beck and call.  They did whatever I wanted for 3 solid days.  It was GREAT!  I miss those guys.....sigh.....  I highly recommend having a moving company with 9 guys pack, move, haul, and unpack all your belongings.  I also highly recommend having your company pay for it. 


A year ago to the week I was putting up corn just like I am now.  Even with all the moving guy's help the house was total wreck!  Stuff was just shoved up against the walls and sitting around while I tried to figure out what to do with it all.  While all this is going on a wonderful neighbor offered us corn.  Couldn't turn down FREE sweetcorn...even if I couldn't find all my canning pots.  So, while I'm unpacking I decide to put up corn. 



History has repeated itself again this year.  I got the urge this week to move my living room.  I have the luxury in this old farmhouse of 3 rooms that could be my living room.  I've decided to move the living room and create a library/music room.  i.e. I moved all the bookcases into one room and my parents are giving us a piano so I need to make room for that.  Not buying any new pieces just trying to work with what I have here. 


So, while the house is torn apart, I am given more corn and the tomatoes are starting to go crazy.  I made some peach/tomato salsa last night and put up 4 dozen ears of corn. 

See this little brush.  I bought it cause it promised it would be take the silks right out of the corn!  It would work like magic!  Yeah....well I knew it wouldn't work when I bought it but I hoped.  I wished.  It didn't work.  Such a waste.  There is no simple way to get the silks out of corn. 

Today the house is back together.  The kitchen is back together.  The laundry's all washed and put away.  Ok....I'm feeling better than I was last night. 

It's been a great year here.  It's very quiet and slow paced.  I've met some really great friends.  I've joined a great gym and church...in that order.  It's all good.  I could use a Target though.  I'm just saying...

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Can't believe you have been there a whole year?! Remember when Delo sucked the silks off with her vacuum cleaner brush and then all that cellulose melted and solidified inside her vacuum and RUINED it? yeah....good times, I can't eat corn without thinking of that.

Rachel said...

Ugh, I'm so jealous. I planted a ton of tomato plants, but I don't think I'm going to get a very good crop this year.

Hmmm, I know, you can give me some of YOUR salsa!!!! :)

Cindy said...

Glad you came to join us here in the sticks! lol A Target would be nice, but I would vote for a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's any day.

Nikki said...

:( miss you