Friday, July 9, 2010

July 4th and Friends


I sent this card to my friend Suzanne this week thanking her for a Fabulous Fourth of July Weekend.  To be honest I made this card a long time ago at a workshop but have never used it.  I don't usually go around sending out July 4th cards so I needed a reason of some kind. 

The card also has a lot of embelishments on it....the extra stars, the ribbon and at the top there are red, white & blue beads that move around 'inside' the card...so I wanted to make sure it was sent to someone who would appreciate it and maybe take it apart and use it again.  (boy that was a long sentance!)  I think Suzanne is just that person.

I think extra embellishments are PERFECT for Suzanne.  My very first memory of her is when I was in college and she was working down the hall from where I worked....16 years ago...how is that possible!?!  She was showing pics of her home all decorated for Christmas.  It looked like a magazine!  Every tiny detail had been thought of.  Every square inch of the home was covered in Christmas decor.  It was beautiful.  Like I am known to do I stuck my foot in my mouth and asked, "You can't possibly live there!  You have to live in the trailer out back!   That home is just a showplace."  She looked at me, smiled, and said, "That is my trailer and yes we do LIVE there."  They had been living in a TINY little trailer for years saving money for their dream home. 

From that day on every time I'm living in a new house (and there have been a lot of them in the last 16 years) and something isn't just right I think of Suzanne.  Every time I'm cooking something big and I run out of counter room (cause I only have 6 foot of counters and 3 of that is the stove!) I think of Suzanne.  I keep telling myself the house doesn't matter...it's what's going on inside that matters.  She JUST sent me an email yesterday about this very subject.  "Home. Doesn't matter what the shell is . . . it's what's you make of it . . . you work with what you have."    And if you know Suzanne you better listen to what she says!  You don't want to make her mad. 
Steve & Suzanne after 25 years FINALLY cooking in her dream kitchen.  :)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

At least you have a lovely holiday pedicure now for when you insert your foot into your mouth.

Suzanne said...

Dear Lynn, thank you soooo much for all the kind words and thinking of me. It was so thoughtful sending me the adorable card! Steve said who is that from . . . I knew instantly! :)

Home is what you make of it. Home is the place that you put your feet up at the end of the day, no matter where it is. If you're not happy there, then life is unhappy. So you make it a happy place. If you don't like the color, then you paint it, you don't like the fabric, you cover it. Make your home you and that will make you smile! That's what it's all about.

And my dear, when have you ever seen me mad? LOL I don't think I've ever been mad . . . upset maybe, but not mad . . .being mad is too much a waste of time for me. I'm all about being happy! Guess that's why I always tried to fix up my home - a comforting happy place. Plus, I think for the most part, I'm just a happy person. Hence why my volleyball girls called me 'smiley'! :)

Thanks again for the terrific 4th of July card and the tribute on your blog! I must rate . . . or at least made an impression on you! LOL You're such a sweetie!!! Thank you. Oh, and thank YOU for spending the Fourth we us!

Cindy said...

Well, If you don't like the color, then you paint it, you don't like the fabric, you cover it, thanx for sharing.