Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Family Vacation, Part 2--Gettysburg


On our way East we decided to make a detour to see the Civil War battlefield Gettysburg.  (My friend Rachel calls it the war of Northern Aggression....but what does she know???)


It was a very pretty area but so dry.  That part of the country is in a drought so when we would look out over the fields it looked like everything needed a little Photo shopping.  All my photos look like they need the color adjusted.   

Basically, the Gettysburg battlefield is make up of fields and a town.  There is no stadium where the fight took place.  The Ranger told us that some have actually asked, "Where are the battle lines?  Why don't the monuments have bullet holes in them?  The Civil War...yeah I think I've heard of that.  (speaking to the Ranger)  Where you there?"  Says something for our education system, huh?



The kids enjoyed running around in the fields but as far as understanding what really went on there they didn't really get it.  That's ok.  It was hard even for me to grasp the thought of these peaceful fields full of thousands and thousands of fighting and dieing men.   


I would love to go back someday and hike or ride my bike around the area.  It was an amazing experience. 

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I want to go there! People are smart, huh? LOL I love that you are reading Laura Bush's book. I will have to read it. I love her, but I love her husband more ;)

Carry said...

Brilliant Landscape pictures! I really liked it. Nice captured!