Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Help is keeping me up at night



I am exhausted.  I'm exhausted cause I'm up till all hours of the night reading this book.  I CAN NOT put this book down!  I am also almost done with it and I don't want it to end.  I can't turn the pages fast enough and I don't like that I only have a couple of chapters left. 

I've heard lots of rave reviews for it but when I read the jacket cover I wasn't that interested.  The story is about housemaids in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi.  I'm sure that brings up all kinds of imagines to your mind, doesn't it?  I didn't really want to read one more story about how horrible people can treat each other.

This book is so much more than poor black women waiting on wealthy white women.  It's about women.  Period.  Women and the things they have to do to survive the situations they are in.  The story is told through the eyes of 3 women (2 black and 1 white) and you can hear their voices.  You can hear what they are thinking.  I can't say enough good things about this.  So, go while it's still summer and the kids aren't really on any kind of schedule and you can stay up late reading. 

And I'll apologize now for the dark circles under your eyes.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Hmmm, I'll have to check that one out!

Rachel said...

Hmmm, I'll have to check that one out!

Anonymous said...

I wondered about this one. Thanks for sharing! :) I think I will pick it up if I ever settle my dispute at the library...

-Cheryl

LV said...

I love books and there has been many I could not put down. I will have to see if my library has this one. I enjoy stories during this period.

stephanie said...

I loved this book - it's on my list of all-time favorites. It kept me walking on my Stairmaster - I got great exercise because I could read this book that I couldn't put down either and step at the same time!