Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cooking Issues

If you will remember back in the fall I went to St. Louis to see The Pioneer Woman and have her sign her cookbook for me.  I've cooked a number of recipes from her blog and cookbook in the past year and love most of them.  I say 'most of them' cause sometimes I tend to mess recipes up.  I get distracted.  I do love the style of her cookbook though cause there are so many pictures!  She puts a picture after every task and that's very helpful to me.  I'm a pretty visual person and I like to have pictures so I know if I'm on the right track....cause sometimes I'm not on the right track.   
(Photo courtesy of The Pioneer Woman)

Take for instance her Twice Baked Potatoes.   I made these the other night and they were SUPER yummy but they didn't quite look like hers.  Not sure what I did wrong.  These are my potato skins.....

These are Ree's potato skins......

(Photo courtesy of The Pioneer Woman)
look at her skins...now back at mine....(I feel like the guy in the Old Spice Commercial...look at your man..now back at me...your man...now me...)  You feel sorry for my potato skins don't you??  It's ok...we ate them anyway. 

So, yesterday I thought I might redeem myself and make her Pecan Maple Scones.  (can't seem to find the recipe on her website)  If you will notice her scones have a nice shape to them.  They are rather....scone-like wouldn't you say? 
(Photo courtesy of The Pioneer Woman)
Mine were not so scone-like.  Mine were more pie-crust-like.  They were super yummy but they were HUGE!  I don't know what I did wrong but since we ate them all in a day I'll have to make them again and see if I can't fix the issue. 

Don't worry...I'm not giving up.  I will get out the butter and try this again!  I will not be discouraged!


Disclaimer:  No where have I EVER claimed these are my recipes or this is my cookbook.  The cookbook and the recipes were perfect before I got a hold of them I swear.  If you would like step by step directions for any of these recipes or more I highly recommend The Pioneer Woman Cooks and/or her Cookbook.  Good Luck!

10 comments:

affectioknit said...

Yum! We love twice baked potatoes and scones.

Meagan said...

This disclaimer is the best yet!!!!! LOL I love it!!!

Rachel said...

Have you made the chicken spaghetti yet...yum...

I also liked the cinnamon muffin things...

Nikki said...

Ridonkulously crazy that you need a disclaimer like that lol

Anonymous said...

Your disclaimer cracked me up, too bad some people can't see it! =)

Coloradolady said...

Hun....don't worry, you are not alone!!! Cute post....and remember, it is all about the taste....well, mostly!!!

Farm Fresh Jessica said...

I love her cooking too. And I'm sure I would love yours :-)

Mellodee said...

I would bet that her results didn't look that good the FIRST time she made them either! Sometimes it takes practice to get all the details, "just right"! And while presentation is important for an overall pleasing dish, the taste is the ultimate goal. If they taste right, you can work on the presentation next time!

Besides you don't know how many attempts she made before she got "pretty" pictures!! :)

Dawn said...

hmmmm I think I could fix your scone problem. P.s. I was thinking this post needed a disclaimer and then BAM!

Rachel said...

Ha ha, I was just getting ready to start another Drama Thread on Ravelry about you!