Friday, March 5, 2010

The Young Housekeeper's Friend, Part III

I thought it was time to visit with Mrs. Cornelius again. Us modern women have it so much easier than the women of 1859. Even if Mrs. Cornelius did have domestics to help her, life was a lot harder back then.

For the most part my day is not predetermined by the work I have to do. I don't wake up thinking, Today I wash clothes so we can't do anything else. Most days I can do a number of different chores plus have plenty of freedom to play, so to speak. It is not unusual for me to get up in the morning and even before 7:30am I have washed, dried, folded and put away a number of loads of laundry. The dishwasher has been emptied from the night before and I have started filling it for it's first load of the day. Everyone is usually bathed, fed and as I walk out the door the washer, dryer, dishwasher, crock-pot and bread maker are all going. So, come to think of it, maybe these are my modern Domestics. Maybe we ARE living in a Jeston kind of world and I do have Rosey to help me out!

I wonder if Mrs. Cornelius would be impressed or think I am lazy?? No wonder I have to go to the gym everyday. I need the exercise! Mrs. Cornelius believed the weeks work should be divided as such:

On Monday have the house swept and dusted, the clothes for the wash collected, and such articles mended as should be before being washed.
On Tuesday, wash; and here it should be observed. If there is but one domestic (apparently around her that is me), she is of course to do the washing; but, unless the family is small, she could be excused from doing the cooking or ordinary work of the family. I'll have to remember that. 'I'm loading the washing machine...it's take-out for supper! Mrs. Cornelius said so!'
Wednesday, bake and fold the clothes.
Thursday, Iron. Does anyone iron anymore? I really don't. Every once in awhile I may iron a folded collar or a pair pants but I iron so little that when I get the iron out the kids coming running to watch me. They think it's fascinating!
On Friday, have all parts of the house that are in constant use, swept and dusted again, the brasses rubbed, and if there are windows to be washed, closets or sleeping rooms to be scoured, let it be done on this day.

On Saturday, bake, and provide such a supply for the table as shall supersede the necessity of cooking on Sunday. I always thought people went to town on Saturday. But maybe that was something Mrs. Cornelius had her domestics do.
Sunday, of course, is a day of rest. So, this is how your week should look. Mine doesn't does yours? Personally, I try to fit the cleaning and housekeeping in where I can. Play dates, gym, library, friends, shopping, pool time, book club, card making workshops, scrap booking, knitting and park are way more fun. I would personally rather schedule my life around THEM instead of the other way around.
Did you notice my fun handmade tea towels? I love them! I've had them for years and never displayed them cause I didn't want to actually USE them. My friend Meagan made them for me and they have been in a box and moved from 5 different homes in the hopes of finding the perfect place for them. My friend Haley saw them and said, 'You have to display them as a valance!' I'm glad I took her advice cause they make me smile every time I look at them.

8 comments:

Linda-B said...

Thanks so much for posting these tea towels. They remind me of my husband's Grandmother's work. She loved embroidery and quilting, and I recall her doing something very similar. What a nice memory!

Nikki said...

Awwwwwww...I love them!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You always crack me up when I read your entries! Love your writing!
Monique

Dawn said...

Nice towels.

Rachel said...

I have a set of tea towels that I display this way also but, they have chickens on them doing various tasks...

:)

Mellodee said...

I love to see pretty things being used in unexpected ways! So much better than having them sit in a drawer or a linen closet!! Nice~~~

I became so enamored of the towels, I didn't pay much attention to what you said! Oops....gotta go back and READ it this time!

jskippy11 said...

I love them as a valence... such a good idea! And I can't beleive you get all that done before 7:30... I am still trying to decide if I want to get out of bed and go to work then.. haha!

Meagan said...

Yay! They look beautiful!! :)