Thursday, March 25, 2010

What's for Breakfast?

My most favorite thing to hear when we sit down at the kitchen table is, "I don't like this!" or "This is Yucky!" Really...it is. I hear it EVERY single time we sit down to eat. It doesn't matter what I fix...spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, soup, mac and cheese....doesn't matter I tell ya. No matter what it is it's not like, "Grandma's, Aunt Meme's, or McDonald's."

I TRY to make something at breakfast they will at least eat so they can have some energy at school for a couple of hours. Since we have a tremendous amount of eggs right now I thought I would make breakfast casserole this morning. Eggs, sausage, cheese and bread...can't go wrong there. They like all 4 of those things, right? How can you go wrong with a breakfast casserole?? Wouldn't eat it....now I have a whole 9x13 pan of breakfast casserole to eat.

Anyone want to come over for Breakfast?

Breakfast Casserole Recipe

  • 6 slices of bread coarsely torn
  • 1lb breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar or to taste
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • salt, pepper and onion powder to taste.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Place bread in bottom then sprinkle with sausage and cheese.

Beat eggs, milk, onion powder, salt and pepper until well mixed. Pour over bread mixture in pan.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until it is set in the center and lightly browned.

You can add or delete any ingredients....add peppers, mushrooms or other seasonings if you like. I prepared it all last night and then poured the eggs over the mixture this morning and cooked it.

Guaranteed to please....unless you have my kids.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

we used to make this all the time for work at olney.

Cindy said...

I love egg casserole!! My kids do the same thing...my culinary skills are wasted on them. LOL

Susan said...

We love breakfast casserole.. Even my son will eat that and doesn't eat eggs..LOL...Well at least eggs are good for you.. as long as you don't eat the yoke..

Mellodee said...

My mom considered herself lucky if she could get two pieces of toast w/jelly (sans crusts!) into me before school. To this day, I don't like breakfast (at least not at breakfast time!)

My daughter would only eat a little bit of cereal. I guess breakfast is a washout in our family!

But we all grew up and are relatively normal folks....LOL!

As my Grandmother used to say, "She'll eat when she's hungry!"

Rachel said...

Mmmm, I LOVE egg dishes! I'm going to make that today!