Monday, March 29, 2010

A Little Sweet & a Little Salty

Warning!  If you are at all opposed to butter just walk away now.  Don't scroll down.  I mean it!!  This post requires a LOT of butter.  I am warning you now cause I don't want to receive a bunch of emails from people telling me how horrible butter is and how fattening this recipe is.   This is why I go to the gym people...so I can eat fattening foods (and have a Coke).  I have given you ample warning...you may now scroll down.

So, for those who are still with me be prepared for a recipe like you have never seen before.  I have never seen a recipe take such ordinary products, melt them together and form something so incredably fattening yummy.

This recipe is from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood:  Stories and Recipes to Share with Family and Friends by Trisha Yearwood (of course). 

Mama's Sweet and Saltines
40 saltine crackers
2 sticks butter  (I told you!!)
1 cup brown sugar
8oz chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 cups)

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil and saltine crackers.


In a medium saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes.  I have to say.... if I decide to make this again I would use only one stick of butter.  2 sticks made it really soft I thought.  I think it would be a more crunchy cookie-like with only one stick of butter.  Aren't you proud of me??  I altered the recipe all by myself.  I made it healthier...a little. 

Remove from heat and pour over crackers, covering them evenly.  Put cookie sheet into oven and watch closely.  Bake for about 5 minutes, or until just bubbly. 
3.  Remove from oven and pour chocolate chips over crackers.   
When chips begin to melt, spread them over crackers with a knife. 
Transfer pan to freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold.  The chocolate-covered crackers will form a solid sheet; break into pieces and store in an airtight container. 

These were so crazy yummy but totally fattening. 

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I know you don't know this about me yet, but Saltines are my favorite food, with chocolate a close second. Now I will have to go to they gym MORE.

Rachel said...

Lol, wouldn't that be the PERFECT dessert to make a pregnant woman? Chocolate, Saltines, Sugar? Lol, just add a pickle and it's good to go!

Dawn said...

I have made these and they are amazing! I used keebler crackers.

stephanie said...

I've got Trisha's cookbook on my interlibrary loan list... I'm going to make her Key Lime Cake.. the one she made for her dad's birthday, AND I will play one of her CDs while I do it!