Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Prairie Winds Are Driving Me CRAZY!

I have read stories all my life about the high winds of the plains and during the Great Depression and how they would blow for days and days and weeks and weeks and it would drive people crazy. I always thought 'yeah that would be annoying' but never thought much about it.

Women used to sit in their tiny little claim shanty's on the prairie with nothing but the 4 walls to look at (and 14 children). No running water, no dishwasher, no clothes washer or dryer, no microwave, no furnace and no Facebook (the horror!).....they would sloooowllllyyyyy go crazy. The wind would drive them crazy. The CONSTANT wind hitting the side of the house would finally get to them and they would go and drown someone in the well.

Well....now I understand it. The wind here NEVER LETS UP! The last 2 days it's been fairly high and when I'm in certain rooms of the house it's whistling sound is unnerving. I also have something not all prairie women had....this windmill a couple hundred yards from the house. When the wind is just right it rotates and it squeaks and moans and I swear it brays like a donkey. It's ridiculous!! I am luckier than the pioneer women though...I can go and turn up the radio or tv to distract myself so I can't hear this stupid thing going on and on and on all day and all night. And don't worry....my well is also covered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous picture!! Love it!
Monique

Mellodee said...

Those poor prairie women had to put up with a hell of a lot and got nothing much back for their trouble. I wouldn't have survived a week!

Dawn said...

spin class in a good remedy for wind sickness.

Flipfloppingmamma said...

Mellodee...I most likely would have made it to St. Louis and said 'i think this is far enough!'. haha!

Dawn...I think it is a good remedy!