Friday, January 8, 2010

Our first Prairie snow

We have been living up north for a couple of years and I would have to say it's made me a little jaded to the winter weather. I don't get as excited as I used to when the weather man calls for snow. I mean....I get excited that it's going to snow cause I love snow but I don't get so excited that I feel as if I need to go and buy out the stores of all the milk and bread.

But now we are experiencing a different kind of snow since we have moved to the Plains. Even though the weatherman called for only 2-4 inches of snow (which by northern standards is NOTHING) everything was being cancelled around here before the first snowflake fell. Now I know why...the drifting. The wind! There is NOTHING to stop the wind around here! Why are there no trees? People should plant more trees! My friend Haley braved the roads and brought two of her four children over to play. All the kids went outside to play for awhile but the boys couldn't take it and came back in. Notice how some of the yard has barely any snow and other parts have 2-3 feet of snow? The girls loved it! They built snow tunnels and sledded on the drifts...cause there are no hills here. Even though they were about froze they still wanted to play outside. I made them come in once their eyelashes froze to their face masks. (Yes, Sissy did go back and help her friend out of the snowdrift once this picture was taken.)
The boys decided it would be more fun to built a cubby hole in the kitchen and play superheroes. This snowdrift in front of MY side of the garage doesn't look like much but it's really over 2 foot deep. I called the The Hunter to see why he didn't clear it when he cleared his side this morning and he joked that it was his way of keeping me from heading to town to check out the Target deals....at least I think he was joking.....
I got 4-wheel drive right??

4 comments:

jskippy11 said...

You know, I hate to admitt this.. but I think in this case the boys were the smarter sex!

Mellodee said...

I lived in Chicago for more than 30 years of my life. Trust me, any pleasure that you get from a forecast of snow, will soon disappear and you will snarl like the rest of us!! "Cuz its the combo of the snow, the shoveling, the ice, the drifts, the slush, the black ice, the driving, the frost, the reduced visibility, the wind, the wind chill, the blowing, the freezing, and the unrelenting COLD that goes right into your bones and settles in. Winter in the North is NEVER easy, and is, in fact, frequently horrible!!! And it happens again and again, year after year after year! There is a reason I now live in Austin!!! Return to your southern roots as soon as you are able. Its only going to get worse. Trust me!! Have I ever lied to you??? :)

Dawn said...

that snow "drift" looks very small. hehehehe

Liz Foley said...

No seriously, where's the snow?