Saturday, January 23, 2010

The following post should be read with a British accent

It has been rainy, dreary, foggy and misty for almost 2 weeks now. I feel I need to clean my windows so I can see clearly but then I do and it still doesn't help. I am so looking forward to a little sun! All you can see is fog...there are houses in this picture but you can't see them. Yesterday I couldn't even see the fields around the house it was so foggy so I guess I should be thankful. Our weather puts me in the mind of England. I know it's very stereotypical to say it's always raining in England but what I know of English weather pretty much comes from PBS Masterpiece Theater movies. It's always raining and women always twist their ankles falling in the slick grass and mud and then a handsome millionaire rescues them.

Or it's dark and stormy and there is a killer walking down a cobblestone street but you really can't see his face cause the street is so dimly lit. I'm also a fan of the British WWII movie which usually means the streets are in total blackout and people are feeling their way along in the hopes of getting home before an air raid siren announces the return of German aircraft. I was in England about 11 years ago for a week and to be perfectly honest it was sunny the entire time we were there. Everyone was talking about how wonderful the weather was. No fog anywhere!So, maybe this isn't English weather but just dreary Illinois January weather. I was happy when they finally were able to get the corn out and I could see all the way to the highway a mile away. Now all I can hear are the eery sounds of the cars in the fog. It's like The Village. They could hear weird sounds but didn't know what they were. I could stand in the yard this morning and hear the distant traffic but you would never know there was a road over there.

I'm patiently waiting for the sun....and for the mud to dry up!

4 comments:

All Natural Mama said...

I personally wouldn't mind slipping in the English mud and being rescued by a gentleman with 5,000 a year...I just finished reading Pride & Prejudice and am feeling a bit British these days...

Anonymous said...

i read this with a british accent and it made it really fun! darn fog anyway!

Rachel said...

Lol, too true!

Liz Foley said...

Where's the snow?