Thursday, October 22, 2009

What did I get myself into???

I love tote bags and I have way too many of them. There are so many blogs out there that I look at everyday where the women are whipping up all kinds of fun sewing projects. Some of these women make a very nice income sewing bags and purses. They look so easy to make right? They are just a square with some handles and a couple of square pockets. How hard could they be to make?? Well....last year for Christmas I made a couple of people tote/grocery bags. They turned out pretty good. Very simple, no pockets and I bought the handles....I couldn't figure out how to make them. Now everyone wants tote bags......sigh.....
So, for my aunt's birthday I decided to make her another tote bag. She requested pockets inside this time. I tried to make it a little more stylish than the last ones I made. I did ok...only cried once during the process. No, really...it was fine. I just can't seem to get my mind wrapped around the projects. I can barely envision the finished product. I'm not sure what is wrong with me. ha! So, my aunt receives her tote and shows it to her friend who turns around and orders three more. THREE totes!! I'm all about making a little money and I'm very excited about this. She wanted SIU (Go Salukies!!) fabric so her and her friends can take them to the ballgames. I put pockets in them for their cell phones and keys. Hopefully she will like them.

I like the idea of making these and selling some but the first major problem with this little business venture is there isn't a fabric store within 45 minutes of me. If I make a mistake or get a last minute order I can't just run out and buy more fabric. Living in the middle of no where is making me more frugal and organized I think. These are good qualities to have right?

6 comments:

All Natural Mama said...

Those look GREAT!
And I have a temporary solution to your fabric dilemma.
JoAnn is having their Moonlight Madness sale right now (I think it ends Saturday). The whole store is one sale - even the clearance fabrics are 50% off the clearance price.
So... stock up while you're here this weekend!!!
Thread is also buy one, get one free. Do you get their flyer? I think you can view it on their web site.
Hope to see you Saturday!!!

Dawn said...

That saluki one is great!!!

Rachel said...

Wow, those are great!

(I want one . . . hee hee, although I have no idea what salukies are . . . fish?)

Linda Byrd said...

These are very stylish and cute! I can't tell how you did the lining, but I have an easy way to construct and line a tote bag. Email me if you're interested.

Flipfloppingmamma said...

I don't have your email Linda. I would love your input. Thanks!

Flipfloppingmamma said...

I don't have your email Linda. I would love your input. Thanks!