Friday, September 4, 2009

Trying to be a big girl

As we all know I have completely irrational fears about things that go bump in the night. I do not like to stay by myself. I'm perfectly fine during the day but the minute it gets dark I want all the curtains closed and the doors locked. If The Hunter is with me I'm fine but this week he's been gone ALL WEEK LONG to Nebraska. Apparently OUR cornfields are not good enough for him he needs to check out other peoples.

By the way....check out this road! Our new road commissioner is a rock star! Up until last week the road to our house was HORRIBLE. You could only go about 30 miles MPH or risk bodily injury. It reminded me of some of the roads Ewan and Charlie took in Long Way Round . If you haven't seen this movie I highly recommend it. Fascinating! I baked him some cookies to show my appreciation....the road commissioner not Ewan McGreger. Not that I wouldn't bake him cookies but he has never drove by my house that I know of.

Sorry, I am all over the place this week. A whole week of ALONE time with a 3 and 6 year old can be rough. I couldn't go and stay with anyone else because the kids have school and NONE of my family and 'friends' could come and protect me. But that's ok...I'm a big girl and I did it!

Sissy and I are reading Little House of the Prairie and there is a chapter about a lady paying Laura Ingalls to stay with her and her daughter on their claim. The way to get a claim back then was to prove you had lived on the claim for 7 months out of the year. The problem was most people couldn't afford to live on their own claim without an outside income. They would have to have money for seed, tools and food because they couldn't start growing food immediately. So, this lady's husband was working in town and she had to go out there by herself with her little girl and she was scared to death and asked the Ingalls' if Laura could stay with her.

Laura's Ma thought it so strange this lady was scared. Ma was a better woman than I. I could not have done it. I would have gone crazy! Even though The Hunter has been gone all week I do know I've got it pretty good. I can drive to town, check Facebook, email, talk on the phone, text, and watch tv. I don't have to listen to nothing but the wind in the grass and the coyotes howling. I'm not sure I would have been a very good pioneer woman. I most likely would have had to get out of the wagon at St. Louis. After reading that chapter last night I didn't feel so sorry for myself...but I'm still glad he'll be home tonight.

4 comments:

Liz Foley said...

What's with the 'friends' comment....

Penny said...

Yep, I hear ya. With Nate on 2nd shift I'm alone with the kids till about 1:30 am. I'm okay now in the city, except when bats fly in the house.
But as much as we'd like to be in the country, I've told him there is no way I could handle being out there alone at night with the kids!
You are a brave woman, don't get down on yourself, lol!
As for the crop duster, I'd be running the opposite direction... into the house, not towards the puff cloud of cancerous smoke, lol. :-)

Dawn said...

I would make cookies for Ewan too, but not for Charlie cause he is a whiny puss pants (ok ok O would give him a few. I'm sure I would have died of a bladder infection before we would have hit St. Jo so don't sweat it. hehe

Rachel said...

Heh, I suppose "Ma" would have looked forward to a night away from "Pa" sometimes, hee hee!

Seriously though, I hear ya! I hate it when Andy works late. I hear every creak and groan from the house!