Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Signs of Corn

It's no secret...I HATE cornfields but I really like corn on the cob. I hate cornfields but I moved to a home with corn on three sides. TALL corn. I hate cornfields.Even though I hate cornfields when one of our new neighbors offered to let us pick as much of his sweet corn as we wanted I jumped at the chance. So we loaded up the cooler and headed to his house. We ended up picking about 10 dozen. I only wanted 5 dozen but he just kept putting them in the cooler. At one point I was standing about 10 rows deep in the field picking ad I realized I was all by myself and I had to talk myself down...I hate cornfields! I was worried it was going to take a long time and I would be up all night freezing the ears. I don't cut it off the ears I freeze them whole in freezer bags. Much easier that way if you have the freezer space. I also figured out a way to cool the corn quickly after I boiled it. I put the hot corn in a plastic tub in the yard and let the COLD COLD water from the well run over it. They were cooled off in no time and I was in bed by 9:30pm.

Ok...now on to the the reason I hate cornfields. I have always thought when you were standing next to a cornfield the rustling leaves sounded like someone talking. The long endless rows are creepy...the whole thing is creepy. Even though I felt like this, a couple of years ago, we ended up going to see the alien movie Signs with Mel Gibson....Mel wasn't WITH us he was in the movie. Scared the bejeezus out of me!! We were in the third row and I was getting lower and lower in my seat cause the scary music was playing, it was dark,and Mel was in a cornfield. I had on flips and the alien appears...I SCREAM and kick my leg and my shoe goes flying 3 rows in front of me! I had to admit to The Hunter I lost my shoe and then some guy whispers rather loudly in front of us, "I found someones shoe!"







Posting this clip scares me. I couldn't even watch the whole thing! I think it's the one where Mel is in the field and he first spots the alien. Again...not sure cause I'm not watching that movie EVER again. At one point in the movie theater I was so freaked out that I told The Hunter we can leave. I could care less at that point what happens to the family. I wanted out!!

So, now you know. I'm not afraid of mass murderers or rapists...it's aliens in the cornfield. Completely unrealistic I know. And just so ya'll know....I'm very well armed if anyone tries to come out here and think it's all funny to scare me. I'm just saying...











5 comments:

Nikki said...

I feel your pain, I hate them too. For different reasons than you, but I still hate em! On the flip side, I'm very jealous cuz that corn looks DELICIOUS...and I'm still buying my from Aldi's which I've been told is NO COMPARISON :)

All Natural Mama said...

We went in a corn maze last weekend and of course Alex ran off. Evan followed him. I freaked out! It's really scary having little kids in 8-foot high cornfields. Lost. Anyway, we found Evan cowering in the rows and Alex eventually as well.
I'd be scared if I were you, too, that my kids would get lost lol.
Are you worried about the children of the corn appearing?

All Natural Mama said...

Oh, Nikki, you are buying your sweet corn in a STORE?!?!
Call me soon and I'll give you directions to a farm that has some ready now. It's not very sweet yet, give it another week though.
My sweet corn isn't ready yet, either, so I can't share with ya.
Put down the store sweet corn, leave it where it is, and slowly back away...

Rachel said...

Ooo, can you hook me up with people who have sweet corn? I don't know anyone, and I'm too stubborn to just buy it from the farm stands . . .

Hey, a few years ago I was given a lot of sweet corn, and I just cut the sweet corn right off the cob (uncooked) and froze it that way. When I wanted corn, I had to steam it a bit, but that was it! It tasted fantastic!

Miss L. said...

So....
As a horror FANATIC, I don't fear cornfields....in fact, they give me some weird adrenaline rush....BUT.... I do fear..... The ducks that are in public town park ponds LOL Those are pretty frightening on a national and international level ha ha ha.

Since you're terrified of corn, I'm assuming you weren't overly loving the two photos I recently took and posted to facebook?

Photo 1....

and....


Photo 2....

?
:)

How about this movie? Part 6 is the best.... heheheheh

Children of the Corn IV trailer

Sweet dreams. LMAO! :)