Monday, May 25, 2009

Sending me off in 80's style

My fabulous friend Nikki hosted a going away/birthday bash for me like no other. She came up with the 80's theme and instructed us all to dress in our best 80's attire. For weeks we have all been stalking the Goodwill for the best outfits and boy did we come up with them.

This is Nikki. The mastermind of this whole thing. I think she came up with all of our outfits. She is quite the shopper! She was going for the Rainbow Brite meets Madonna look.
This is my 'Clicky-Heeled Friend' sportin' her new jelly shoes. Don't worry...she washed them before she put them on. This Blossom Musical Chick had this whole outfit, right down to her white tennis shoes, at home in a box! Why?? I have no clue.This crazy chick had the 'Working Girl' look down to a T....including the monster shoulder pads! Look how great her heels go with her heels (yeah it didn't make since when she said it either). But she did have rockin' hair! It took a lot of spray and teasing to get my hair to stand up but hers kept getting bigger and bigger as the night went on. It was amazing!The Pookmonster paid tremendous attention to detail. Blue eyeshadow, check. Scrunchy, check check. Totally awesome PacMan gloves, check check check! The All-Natural Mama displayed her great love (STALKER) to the New Kids on the Block. I can't believe the stuff people keep in their attics!This Pretzel Sorority Girl was rockin' the polyester track suit! She also won the trivia challenge hands down. She knows ALL!The Alohaknitter grew up on a island and since 'the 80's' was a mainland thing only (what??) she missed them. We had to explain to her the significance of Bugle Boy and how cool it was to own a pair of Z. Cavaricci jeans. We also had to explain to her that she could not under any circumstance keep the acid washed fanny pack for her knitting. The Farmer's Wife was ready to 'Get Physical'...at the gym I mean. It takes a pretty secure woman to wear a leotard AND 3 inch heels. I think she did get some offers walking from the car to the door though....I'm just saying....There is always one Preppy Girl in the bunch. But don't let the flipped up collar, sweater around the shoulders, tight rolling of the khaki's fool ya.....She could totally rock it out to Def Leppard! And then there was my outfit. First of all I can't believe I'm showing this picture. I pray that people who know me know that I have changed in the last 16 years. I DO look different than I did in junior high I swear!

I do have to tell ya though the hair was such an issue for me. I had to buy those pink sponge rollers cause I didn't have any hot rollers anymore. It took FOREVER to roll up the hair, spray it, heat it with a blow dryer, spray it, unroll it, tease it, spray it, tease it, then I decided it wasn't high enough so I added a ponytail and scrunchy, then I sprayed it one final time. I was exhausted and HOT! (Not in a good way either.) By the end of the night the hair was flat. It was amazing! All that spray and gel and nothing to show for it 6 hours later. Do I look 14 or what?? Here I am posing with my wonderful Rubik's Cube cake Nikki made. Nikki left no detail untouched. She melted these records and made them into bowls! She decorated her house in much coveted 80's items. I so wanted this jacket in junior high. Thank God my parents didn't indulge me! Albums from our childhood were desecrated and properly adhered to the wall.

My favorite food groups were served....chips and salsa....
and of course M&M's. Nice touch!!They even brought me presents...some more random than others! Clicky-heels cause who doesn't need those!
And random figurines from the Pookmonster....why??? I have no clue.


We laughed, we ate, we danced liked idiots till people on the street stopped to stare and then some of us got REALLY crazy....

It was the best party EVER! Way more fun than when I was 14. Thanks to everyone for such a great time!!

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Twas my HONOR, and I had a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Dawn said...

Maybe you should have used Rave hairspray. That was the actual brand we used to use remember?

Rachel said...

That was so fun!

(And I was just thinking how perfect that fanny pack would be for sock knitting on the go . . .)

jskippy11 said...

That looks so fun! I don't even have that many friends to come to a party for me! Hope you had a great birthday! It looks like you did.. And by the way.. I LOVE that cake, that is too neat...
I must be your only friend who has no talent!

Lisa said...

It looks like you had a blast!

Meagan said...

Junior High? I swear I have a pic very similar to that one from COLLEGE! :) Maybe this explains why 'some people' still wear scruncies... It really does make you look about 14! LOL

TuttleTime said...

Like totally awesome, Dude! What a GREAT party idea! I have to do that...too. I love the rubik cube cake!!! So 80's.

Class of 88 rulz! :) Happy Belated birthday and enjoy your new digs.

Cheryl said...

Loved re-living the party as I read this! What a TOTALLY AWESOME time we had!