Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Methodist Cookies

These are the BEST chocolate chip oatmeal cookies ever! They are chewy and chocolaty...just the best. Little known fact about me....I've made a lot of cookies in my time. I've NEVER been good at it. Growing up mom cut me off and wouldn't let me make anymore cause I was just wasting ingredients. They always turned out horrible.


Now I know it was the recipe! I finally found a recipe for the perfect chocolate chip oatmeal cookies in one of those church cookbooks that people give you. I swear I have a cookbook from every denomination out there. Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, Moravian, The Ladies of the Elks and a family collection of recipes from a past coworker. See...I just about have them all.
Oatmeal Toll House Cookies
1 1/2 Cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Cup butter flavored Crisco
3/4 Cup brown sugar
3/4 Cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp hot water
1 Cup nuts, chopped
1 pkg. chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli...they are just the best!)
1 tsp vanilla
2 Cups oatmeal (uncooked)
Cream shortening until soft. Add sugars gradually, creaming until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add hot water and vanilla to creamed mixture, then add dry ingredients. Add nuts, chocolate chips and oatmeal and mix thoroughly.
Drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Thanks to Ms. Helen M. Mauro of the Hampton Memorial UMC, Memphis-Asbury District for this wonderful recipe. I've often thought I should maybe send her a note of thanks some how. Maybe I'll do that this week....

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Ladies of the Elks!!!!! aaahaaahaaaa!

Rachel said...

I'm with Dawn here; "Ladies of the Elks"? What in the world is THAT?

(Yes, you're right, those are the BEST oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ever).

Deb said...

Are these the cookies you made for me before I left the district?