Friday, February 13, 2009

Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie

This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is my 'go-to' recipe when someone needs a meal given to them. If you have a baby, are sick or die then I am going to show up at your door with this pie frozen for you.

I know some of you think you have to cook a whole chicken and then pick it clean to make a Chicken Pot Pie but I am here to tell everyone it doesn't have to be that hard. Shhhhhh....don't tell my friend Meagan. In this relationship she is more Martha Stewart than Martha Stewart herself! She is always cooking a chicken down for something.

List of main ingredients: Canned veggies, cream of chicken soup and canned chicken breast. If you will notice I use only the finest ingredients that Aldi's carries. (Notice those green bananas? This picture was last week and they are STILL green. I don't know when they pick those things but they are green forever!)Since I was using a small tin pie plate I only had to use once can of each. If you are using a larger pie plate you may want to add more chicken and veggies. I dump all canned goods together in a bowl and then add 1/3 cup of milk, rosemary, thyme, and pepper to taste (about a teaspoon of each). I then add all the mixed ingredients to a pie shell. See pie crust recipe here. Cover top of pie and back at 400 degrees for 45minutes to 1 hour.

I made 4 pies this particular day and had a lot of crust left over. I layered it in a baking dish with butter, cinnamon and sugar. Layer of dough, butter, cinnamon and sugar, repeat. I then baked it for about a half and hour at 400 degrees. The baking time will depend on how big you make your crust pie. Cool and make icing using powdered sugar and milk. Pour over top. Very yummy and the kids love to help.
It's just like pie without the filling.








7 comments:

dawn said...

mmmmmmmm...... crust pie. Put your bananas in a paper bag with an apple. They will be yellow in no time.

jskippy11 said...

Oh.. that is my favorite way to have pie... crust with no filling!
I could make that pot pie.. but only if I used a frozen pie crust too!

Meagan said...

Looks great! Thanks for the Martha comment... Hopefully I have better hair :) LOL

Nikki said...

yummmmmmmmmmm, pie without the filling, my FAVORITE! And the chicken pot pie looks great! If you hadn't just handed over the recipe like that I may have been tempted to have a baby, get sick, or die just to get you to bring me one! ;0)

Nikki said...

yummmmmmmmmmm, pie without the filling, my FAVORITE! And the chicken pot pie looks great! If you hadn't just handed over the recipe like that I may have been tempted to have a baby, get sick, or die just to get you to bring me one! ;0)

Rachel said...

Do I have to die before I can get one? I don't think I'd enjoy it much that way.

*cough cough* I'm sick . . .

:)

All Natural Mama said...

Now I want to know where my pot pie was when I had pneumonia last month? Hmmm?
I think you secretly keep them for yourself, lol. :-)
I noticed the green bananas in the picture before you mentioned them and smiled to myself because I know you also shop at Aldi... and man have their bananas been green lately.