Tuesday, July 29, 2008

3,700 miles later....

we are home!! I figured up the other night that in the last 2 weeks we have spent approximately 45 hours in the car, 18 hours on a plane, 7 hours on a school bus, and 5 hours on a boat. I'm pooped! I need another vacation!


If you come home as

happy as you leave,

you've had a good vacation. --Anonymous


We were able to visit Denali National Park, Seward, Whittier, Wasilla, and Anchorage, Alaksa. We were part of the lucky 20% a year who are able to see Mt. McKinley. We touched a glacier and walked among wild animals (ok we drove past them in the bus but it was still cool.) We stayed part of the time with some new Alaska friends and we can not thank them enough!! Our host even took us up in his plane! Hubby loved it and they were up there for hours. I made it about 20 minutes...haha! Flying is not for me.

It was so amazing to see a land that is so underdeveloped. Don't get me wrong...there are lots of towns and the town we stayed in for awhile had everything you could really want. But we would drive for hours and see nothing but a couple of wide spots in the road with a gas station. It was very odd. The never ending daylight was so strange and invigorating at the same time. After the first couple of night of not sleeping well I finally had to cover all the windows and pretend it was dark so we could calm down and begin to get tired.

Hubby enjoyed the trip more than you will know. I think he would move up there in a heartbeat if I would encourage it....I'm not going to though.

5 comments:

jskippy11 said...

I am so envious of you.. except all that time spent on a bus!YUCK! My dream is to take a cruise around Alaska.. I want to see some Whales! I know what you mean about needing a vacation from vacation... The only plus is, you don't have to get up and "go to a job" Although, you would probably get more rest at a "job" then at your job as a mother! Glad you had a good time!

Rachel said...

Some day, I want to see Alaska, too. So glad you were able to go and that you had such a good time. What great memories! (And scrapbook fodder!)

Glad you're back, though.

Now just stay here, okay? Quit traipsing off to all parts of the globe, lol!

Liz Foley said...

We would never let you move up there anyway! It is bad enough you are never around here now!!

Liz Foley said...

OK - ready for a new entry now!! Let's get on that please

Liz Foley said...

oh look- another day, still no entries...imagine that