Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Creme de Menthe Brownies

Happy St. Patty's Day...a day late. I made these yummy brownies for a lunch Hubby was having at work. OMG! They are so good!! I know it's boring that you are only getting one picture of them. I seriously just do not have time to take step by step pictures like PWC does. Both kiddos are alseep right now and I swear I only have seconds before Bubby wakes up. Once that happens it's all over for today!

I found this recipe in the Paula Deen Celebrates! cookbook. (Love this woman!) She says they are a staple at Savannah St. Pat's parties. And no wonder. They look beautiful and taste delicious! I didn't even know what creme de menthe was until I asked my dear friend Meagan. She knew right away! heehee! So, off to the store I went with the kiddos to purchase a $12 bottle of liquer at 10am.

Recipe

4 ounces (4 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
Filing
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons green creme de menthe

Icing
6 ounces (1cup) semisweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter


  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 13x9 baking pan with Pam.
  2. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter over simmering water. Cool slightly. (I don't have a double boiler so I did mine in the microwave very slowly.)
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until blended, then add the sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture, the salt, vanilla, and flour. Beat with the whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
  4. Pour the batter into the 13x9 pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool in the pan.
  5. Make the filling: Beat together the butter and sugar until well blended. Stir in the creme de menthe. Blend well. Spread over the cooled brownies. Refrigerate in the orignal baking pan until the filling is firm.
  6. Make the icing: Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the double broiler (again I used the microwave). Stir until smooth. Pour the warm glaze over the filling. Tilt the pan to ice the filling evenly. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens.
  7. To cut the brownies, remove the pan from the refigerator and allow the brownies to come to room temp. so the chocolate wil not crack. Cut into 48 brownies. EAT!

2 comments:

dawn said...

mmmm looks tasty.

Rachel said...

Hee hee, I'm reading like this:

"hmmm.. . look yummy, but I don't like mint . . . OH, THERE's Liquor IN THERE? I'd like to try some!"

They look beautiful,in any case!